If you’re in or around Seattle tomorrow, Cat would love to say hello! She’s doing a reading of The Glass Town Game on 9/26 at Secret Garden Books: the event begins at 7 PM, and the store closes at 8 PM. Bring your books, bring your kids, and bring your smiles!
Haven’t gotten The Glass Town Game yet? You’re missing out on the Brontës and their secret world! To tempt you, here’s an exclusive excerpt from the book over at YA Interrogbang. Enjoy!
- Any version of Mycroft other than "Mycroft" makes me want to die inside. (My, Myc, Myke, Croft. WTF. I'm just waiting to come across "Ycro". LOL.)
- Also, who is Noah? Sheriff Stilinski's name is John, dammit. :b
So what are *your* favourite "Find and Replace" words in fic?
Timekeeper - Tara Sim
Tales From Earthsea (2006)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 (2017)
Finding Dory (2016)
Wonder Woman (2017)
Bodacious Space Pirates 1x05-1x08
Joanne K. Rowling:
• J.K. Rowling confirms to continue 'Fantastic Beasts' scripts, children's novel, more
• J.K. Rowling's new interview about 'Cursed Child' plays to air on CBS Sunday Morning
Harry Potter – Actors and Movies:
• Happy Birthday, Tom Felton!
• David Bradley, Toby Jones, and More “Potter” Alumni Doodle for Epilepsy
• Harry Potter actors Tom Felton, Matthew Lewis & Warwick Davis discover their Patronus
• 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban' illustrated edition Marauder's Map preview
• Cast Round-Up: Kenneth Branagh and Johnny Depp’s ‘Murder on the Orient Express,’ Julie Walters Drinks Coffee to Fight Cancer, and More!
• David Tennant in ‘Ducktales’ Behind-The-Scenes, ‘Good Omens’ & More
Fantastic Beasts – Actors and Movies:
• David Sakurai Joins Cast of “Fantastic Beasts 2”
• hogwarts365: HOGWARTS365 - PROMPT 211 Due on or before 30 September
• quibbler_report: Quibbler Report -- PSA
• hp_creatures: Claiming
• smutty_claus: Check your emails!
• sirius_black: Serious fics? Sirius fics!
• potterfests: Slight Delay
• one_bad_man: Another week of Bad Men (and the appreciation thereof)
Masterlists and Weekly Round-ups:
• dramione_remix: Round 8, Week 2 Round-Up!
• hp_drizzle: Weekly Round Up - Three!!
• hogwarts365: HOGWARTS365 PROMPT 210 MASTERLIST
• themightyflynn recced one Severus fic.
• toblass recced one Severus art.
• rosevalleynb recced one Luna, Hermione art.
• themightyflynn recced one Percy/Oliver fic.
• reynardo recced one Severus art.
• hd_prophet: Friday, September 22nd
• sshp_prophet: SS/HP Prophet - September 17 - 23
• Quantum Harry, the Podcast, Episode 6: A Murder of Crones is now available. Featuring Mrs. Figg, Professor Trelawney, Luna Lovegood, Bellatrix Lestrange and the question of whether Snape is trans!
• Love Potions and Voldemort: Why It Makes Me Uncomfortable
• Did J.K. Rowling Hide Meaning in Harry’s Scar?
General Fandom News:
• First-Edition Copy of “Philosopher’s Stone” Auctioned for Record-Breaking $81,250
• “A Magical Yearbook” now available for pre-order
• Christmas in the Wizarding World's first exhibit at Utah's The Shops at South Town
• World Gratitude Day: Celebrating the Weasleys of the World
• New Funko Potter Exclusives for New York Comic Con
• daily_snitch: looking for your recs (fic, art, podfic, meta ...) for the Special Edition: Newt Scamander.
• bottom_draco: Harry/Draco/Severus Fic search
♥ accio_hd_fics - A Harry/Draco Fanfic Search Community
Please send your fandom news to the Daily Snitch.
Maurice took a detour on his way to Mamzelle Bridgette’s in order to visit the curio shop that dealt in jade bracelets, so that he might commission one suitable to MacDonald’s purpose. He therefore arrived a little after his usual hour to discover that he had an unexpected visitor.
Why, Uncle Hector! I hope there is no trouble in the family?
No, all well, Euphemia sent you a few almond cakes – and she says these are just for you, sent a further parcel for the workroom.
'Tis very good of her. Tea?
Thank you, I will.
While the tea was coming, Maurice waved Hector into the more comfortable chair and sat down himself, mentioning that he had Lady Trembourne coming shortly.
Very early in the day for that lady!
Maurice gave a small grim smile. Does she desire to be dressed by me, at such short notice, she must take what time I may spare. Hector returned his smile. But was there some particular matter you desired to open to me?
Why, Sophy was thinking that though Sam wishes keep Thomasina at school a little longer, since they are in no necessity to send her into service or put her to an apprenticeship –
Maurice, whose investments included a share in Sam Jupp’s exceedingly profitable livery stables and carriage-hire business, nodded.
- when there was that notion that 'twould provide an excuse for visiting here that she desired find her a place, put the idea into her head that though she would not wish Thomasina to earn her living by her needle –
'Tis indeed a hard life –
- you might bring her on into the business more generally. Is a good clever girl, excellent fine reports from the schoolmistresses, an eye for fashion, already goes quiz her aunt Tibby on matters of style.
Maurice pondered a little. Indeed he had wondered about matters of succession. Why, I daresay I shall see somewhat of her during the family yuletide gatherings, and mayhap Sophy might bring her along some day.
Hector nodded and said he would convey this invitation to Sophy. Also, Her Ladyship becomes most concerned over the plight of needlewomen –
I have heard somewhat of that from Lady Pockinford –
- and I confide she would be well-advized to convoke with you upon the practicalities of any philanthropic enterprize she purposes.
Well, now she may come visit me for fittings again I daresay we shall have opportunity to speak upon the business.
Hector cleared his throat, sat back in his chair, crossed one leg over the other. She also, he said at length, takes some concern over Mr MacDonald.
Maurice raised his eyebrows.
She thinks it entire beneficial that he has become a member of this club of yours, where he may be with fellows of like kind. But she comes to some apprehension that has already been beguiled by some fellow, and hopes that 'tis some fellow that will not do him hurt, and wonders had you observed anything that might illuminate the question.
(Well, that answered the question in his mind of whether MacDonald went home and quite immediate recounted what he had been about to Lady Bexbury.)
Why, said Maurice with a little considering frown, indeed he becomes quite the favourite and there are fellows make up to him, but I cannot think of any one in particular that he shows favour to himself –
Only, Hector went on, she takes the thought that those years of mutual devotion that he had with the late Viscount, can have been little preparation for any matters of fickleness and deceit -
(Really, Maurice thought, it was entire unreasonable to feel quite sick with jealousy over a dead man.)
Well, he said, I will look out for any signs, and hoist storm warnings if necessary.
Her Ladyship would be most displeased did he come to any harm. And I hope you demonstrate proper gratitude for the services he has done you.
Quite entirely: but I am sensible that there is little that I can offer such a fellow as any kind of recompense. Sure I have made contributions to Lady Bexbury’s philanthropies –
Hector nodded. But you have ladies coming, I must be away.
Maurice found himself left in some confusion. Was this a very indirect warning? But he had no time to linger brooding upon the matter, for, although he did not expect the Countess of Trembourne to arrive precise to the minute, nonetheless he confided that she would arrive before an entire hour had elapsed. He tidied up the fitting-room, laid out some fashion plates and some samples of stuffs, and minded to put the almond cakes out of sight. There were clients he would have been happy to share this treat with, but she was not among them.
In due course Lady Trembourne, followed by Lady Sarah Channery, was ushered in to the fitting-room. They were very much of that same high-bred English lady look: that fine straight fair hair that must have been an immense trial to any that had to dress it; the pale aristocratic features; the tall and slender, even skinny, figure. Lady Trembourne’s face was marked with its habitual expression of discontent. Lady Sarah, however, looked less than usual like a nervous mouse keeping company with a cat: perchance having a lover had conveyed her some confidence in herself.
They sat down and tea was brought and Lady Trembourne produced some fashion-plates that had given her a notion of how she should like her gowns made. Maurice was most greatly tempted to accede to her demands, for he could see that the styles chosen would not set her off to any advantage, but he had the reputation of Mamzelle Bridgette to maintain and that would do it no favours, so he began the delicate task of persuading her into somewhat that would do credit to all parties.
By this time this had been decided, and measurements taken, and Lady Sarah’s requirements also taken into consideration, several hours had passed. But at last Lady Trembourne declared that she had another engagement and swept out. Lady Sarah lingered, looked nervously towards the door, and asked in low and tremulous tones whether the establishment had some discreet chamber?
Maurice conceded that it did, and the terms upon which a lady might avail herself of it.
Lady Sarah was, of course, considerably younger than Sir Stockwell, and indeed than Lady Trembourne: but she was still of an age that was not suited by an air as of a naughty schoolgirl that has slyly deceived the mistress.
After she had gone – looking remarkable complacent for one that had but lately had remuneration demanded of her in return for silence – Maurice sighed, smoothed back his hair, and decided that he would go lunch at the club.
(Of course he had not the slightest expectation that he might encounter MacDonald there.)
At such a time of day there were few enough present, but Sir Stockwell had managed to escape his duties, whatever they were, at the Admiralty. Allard! he lowered his voice. Any news?
Maurice lowered his own voice. Has asked me about the discreet chamber, but indeed I do not know if that might be for a particular purpose, or whether 'tis just to be informed in anticipation. (He did not somehow feel inclined to reveal that yes, Lady Sarah had a lover. Since it was some friend of MacDonald, let him be the one to disclose it.)
Well, let me know do you discover more.
He moved away.
As Maurice deliberated between the cold beef and the ham, up came Tom Tressillian, looking extreme self-conscious. Maurice! Pray, assure me that I have not offended you –
Why, I know that you and Linsleigh have been friends this long time, and he was paying me some attention t’other e’en at the viewing of his painting, and you left most precipitate –
La, my dear Tom, you are entire welcome to enjoy Basil’s favours, sure we have not sworn some oath such as he was telling us at such great length did the members of the Theban Band: and I daresay 'twill come to some exceeding pretty picture - perchance all in black, gazing upon a skull?
O, providing you do not mind - !
Not in the least. But, my dear, figure to yourself my astonishment to see young Orlando Richardson in the company – does he follow in his great-uncle’s footsteps?
Tressillian sighed. Alas, I confide not, except that shows already a pretty talent for comedy.
Alas. For though 'tis by no means a pretty fellow, there is a certain, as they say, piquancy, to his looks, that I daresay his uncle had before he took to drink.
( See works in Chess - Rice/Ulvaeus/Andersson, The Bourne Supremacy (2004), #FindTheGirlsOnTheNegatives - Anonymous, Fate/Zero, Fate/stay night & Related Fandoms, Zootopia (2016), and Constantine (2005) )
( Challenge information )
Fics written for the purpose of re-qualifying for Yuletide must be posted before signing up to Yuletide 2017 (ie, before October 9 and ideally before October 1). You have two weeks! They must also be over 1,000 words and written to a previous Yuletide prompt. The fandom in which they are written must still be small enough to qualify for Yuletide (in brief: there are fewer than 1,000 fics each (that are over 1,000 words, in English, and complete) when adding the total fics on AO3 and ff.net).
Recent posts of interest:
Praise Your Fandoms post on LJ | on DW
Misses Clause Challenge on LJ | on DW
Writing Meetups Post on DW
I really wish the television model were different, though. Not because of the money; I purchase shows on iTunes consistently (Wynonna Earp, Killjoys, Orphan Black, iZombie). But I worry that the no-network model of CBS here means the opposite of its name: less access to smart, well-written, diverse, and feminist shows for normal people who aren't able to drop yet more money on a limited slice of entertainment, good as it may be.
* "To Understand Rising Inequality, Consider the Janitors at Two Top Companies, Then and Now:" https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/03/
* "What dental remains from Homo naledi can tell us:" https://phys.org/news/2017-09-dental-
* "A rare discovery will shed new light on Mycenaean funerary practices :" http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/a-
* "Amateur Archaeologists Find ‘Most Exciting’ Roman Mosaic in Britain:" http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-
* "Earthquake faults may have played key role in shaping the culture of ancient Greece:" https://phys.org/news/2017-09-
* "2,000-year-old baby bottle unearthed in Turkey’s Çanakkale:" https://www.dailysabah.com/history/
* "Skeletons found in ancient tomb in Turkey"s Çanakkale:" http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/
* "Long-Term Site Excavated on Dalmatian Island:" https://www.archaeology.org/news/5921-
* "Lost Languages Discovered in One of the World's Oldest Continuously Run Libraries:" Lost Languages Discovered in One of the World's Oldest Continuously Run Libraries
* "3 ancient statues of senior civil servants discovered in Turkey's Antalya:" https://www.dailysabah.com/history/
* On the history of Bread: http://gwydionmisha.tumblr.com/post/
* "The last surviving sea silk seamstress:" http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/
* On Tywin Lannister: http://turtle-paced.tumblr.com/post/
* Want to donate to my property taxes? (170$ Needed). Paypal Lethran@gmail.com
* We need money for taxes so ebay time again. These won't sell fast enough to solve this month, but can help with the mess this month leaves behind. Fourish days left: https://www.ebay.com/sch/lethran/m.
( Details cut for your pleasure: )
* Next Sunday, 2am
Next Monday, 8:30pm
September 27 2017, 12pm
October 2 2017, 10am
October 9 2017, 10am
October 16, 2017, 5pm
October 19 2017, 10am
October 31 2017, 10am
Next Monday, 11:30pm
* Full list of Resistance and charity links has been migrated to my profile as it was getting out of hand.
* This App phones your rep for you: http://takeastance.us/
* Here is one that will send your reps a fax: https://resistbot.io/
* "Congress Wants to Change the Americans with Disabilities Act and Undermine the Civil Rights of People with Disabilities:" http://gwydionmisha.tumblr.com/post/
* How to help Flood victims in India, Nepal, and Bangladesh: http://gwydionmisha.tumblr.com/post/
* How to help Caribbean victims of Irma: http://gwydionmisha.tumblr.com/post/
* "How to Help Hurricane Harvey Victims:" http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/
* "Disaster Relief and Support for Libraries:" http://www.txla.org/news/2017/08/
* How to help the protesters and ordinary people in Venezuela: https://thewynne.tumblr.com/post/
* "Ten Ways to Fight Hate: A Community Response Guide:" https://www.splcenter.org/20170814/ten-
* A list of links to Charlottesville charities if you want to give the NAZIs a financial fuck you: https://twitter.com/SaraJBenincasa/
* How white Protesters can weaponize their whiteness: http://gwydionmisha.tumblr.com/post/
* List of places to donate to help trans service members and fight the planned attack on active duty trans soldiers: https://vaspider.tumblr.com/post/
* Red Cross is taking donations for Western Wildfire Relief: http://www.redcross.org/local/oregon/
* (This is here as a reminder to me for later). "Can you recommend me some good books, essays, etc. about witches, witchcraft, witch trials in England?:" https://laughingacademy.tumblr.com/
* Help pay for cat food, litter, meds, medical copays: Paypal Lethran@gmail.com
* Want Game of Thrones without the creepy? We need new players. We are very inclusive. "Game of Bones MUSH:" gobmush.wikidot.com
(I did not make it to the Brattle's screening of A Matter of Life and Death (1946), so the question of whether I find David Niven as beautiful in that movie as Andrew Moor does will have to wait for another time.)
In that time I've read Hannah Arendt's The Origins of Totalitarianism, which very closely details the rise of anti-Semitism in Western Europe between the French Revolution and the Second World War. Sayers is an awkward novelist in that her writing in the 1920s and 30s is sparkling in many ways, but soured a few times a book by discordant notes whenever "those people" are mentioned--Sayers seems to think that she is being very liberal-minded by mentioning Jewish people at all, much less having her characters vaguely tolerate them and discuss how a Jew might be as moral as the next fellow. (She had an unhappy early affair with a Jewish writer that seems to have affected her strongly)
I can see no situation in which they might ever have met, but still, the whole thing solidifies mentally for me into a unified whole if I imagine them at some evening party full of urbane and witty literary people, drinking and smoking and sounding clever, where Sayers is holding forth and being pleased with herself and Hannah Arendt is smoking in silence and taking down extensive mental notes for an essay later. She smiles when Sayers passes her an ashtray, but she's already plotting her revenge.
Alas, we had plans to write
It was such fun and I already miss her. <3
We even made tentative plans for another meet up (this time possibly with sdk!) in December around the holidays!
And even though we didn't manage to write, I am working on a little something, so we'll see. I may be posting it soon. ;)
Mexico City Rocked by 7.1 Magnitude Earthquake, Weeks After Devastating Temblor:
Please take time this Sunday to donate to help our neighbors recover from the devastating earthquakes and hurricanes. This charity has a 4 star rating and spends its money on the ground. And if you cannot spare any funds, please reshare.
This will be 1 of several organizations I will highlight today.
Tags:not a reblog, charity, DWCrosspost, giving
Tumblr post (this is likely a reblog, and may have more pictures over there)